Lou Ann Brandstetter
- AP coordinator at Waterford Union High School in Wisconsin.
- Her AP program has 15+ classes, 600+ enrollments, and 550+ exams.
- 2018-19 school start date: September 4, 2018.
Students had to finalize their exam registration by November 1, and provide payment by November 8. (Most students provided payment at the start of the school year.)
She used PowerSchool to collect payment and worked closely with her school’s business office to reconcile exam registrations against fee collection.
How She Did It
AP course sign-up
- Lou Ann communicated with parents and students over the summer via email and text message about AP Exam registration and payment deadlines.
- At the start of the school year, Lou Ann visited AP classes to explain the timeline for registering and paying for AP Exams.
- Students enrolled in class sections in My AP during the first 2 weeks of the semester. (In 2019-20, Lou Ann plans to have her students enroll even sooner.)
- Lou Ann decided to use the advanced student exam decision indicator setting. Students had until November 1 to register for AP Exams.
Exam order reconciliation and payment tracking
From August 2018 to November 2018, Lou Ann followed this process to confirm her exam roster and collect payment:
- After students enrolled in class sections, Lou Ann downloaded the student roster from AP Registration and Ordering.
- Most students paid for their exams when they initially arrived at school. (In 2019-20, Lou Ann plans to collect payment from students at the same time they enroll in class sections.)
- Lou Ann downloaded the roster on a regular basis, and compared the list to her school’s student information system (SIS) for students in classes.
- Students had to register for their AP Exams by November 1, and their final deadline to provide payment was November 8.
- Lou Ann worked with her school’s business office to reconcile student payments.
- Lou Ann submitted her school’s AP Exam order by the November 15 ordering deadline.
Observations and advice
- Lou Ann felt confident that she was better able to accurately track student information using the student roster downloaded from AP Registration and Ordering.
- Lou Ann advises schools to leave at least 2 weeks before the exam ordering deadline to reconcile students’ exam registrations and payment.